Monday 29 March 2010

Gorleston, Norfolk

I had some issues with this one and mulled it over many times before finally getting in the car and driving the 300 or so miles down to Norfolk.
The problem was with how serious Mike Cilgram was regarding his fabricated suicide and whether it constituted an attempt in the first place.
When Cilgram's wife left him, he came to the decision to leave a pile of clothes on Gorleston beach and follow this with a telephone call to the police reporting a naked man walking in to the sea. The response he was hoping for from his wife as he hid himself away seemed to be aiming towards an instant outpouring of devotion and regret concerning their separation.
It didn't, she divorced him citing that, "there's no guarantee he won't do something like this again."

I decided that whether he was serious or the act was a prank that went too far from a decision originally tainted, it didn't matter to me either way. These images and their corresponding stories are not mine to judge and as I slept in the back of my car waiting for sunrise, I knew I couldn't understand the reasons behind many of them and why should the sands of Gorleston be any different.



No comments:

Post a Comment